Collectively and individually the Patient Safety Collaborative plays an essential role in identifying and spreading safer care initiatives from within the NHS and industry, ensuring these are shared and implemented throughout the system.
Funded and nationally coordinated by NHS Improvement, each of the 15 regional PSCs are organised and hosted locally by the Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs).
Formed in 2013, the Kent Surrey Sussex Patient Safety Collaborative has made a huge impact on patient safety across the region.
It is now leading the national rollout of two key initiatives on behalf of the PSC network – COPD bundle and Emergency Laparotomy, both of which had their origins with the Kent, Surrey and Sussex region.
The Kent Surrey Sussex Patient Safety Collaborative:
- focuses on quality improvement
- works directly with local teams to make sure they have the right skills and resources to implement successful improvement
- focuses on people-centred care in all care settings
- shares good practice across the health system, including acute, community and mental health trusts, GPs, and care homes
- identifies local priorities for quality improvements that will make a difference to our communities
- builds relationships with frontline staff, businesses and academia helping to stimulate innovation and improvement.